Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tomato pasta sauce

This is a great tasting, home-made pasta sauce that I made by accident. I put the tomatoes in the oven and then had to go do shopping and forgot to tell anybody about it. Luckily our domestic worker smelt something burning. But I still used the (almost sundried) tomatoes and it came out tasting amazing. I am one of those people who do not use a recipe book most of the time, so when something comes out well, I am ecstatic about it. I am sure you can make it in bulk and freeze it. It will work out cheaper than buying already-made sauces.

Ingredients
8 tomatoes cut in half
Another two tomatoes
Rosemary and olive seasoning (Ina Paarman) or any herb seasoning
Two tablespoons of brown sugar
One clove of garlic
A can of chopped, peeled tomatoes.
Tablespoon of sugar

Method
Place the 8 halved tomatoes on an oven tray. Sprinkle with the brown sugar (use more brown sugar if needed) and the Rosemary and Olive seasoning.
Place in the oven at 200 Degrees Celsius. Grill until slightly burnt, probably between 30 and 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven; remove the skins and place in a pot with the other two raw tomatoes, the clove of garlic, the can of tomatoes and the tablespoon of sugar.
Let it cook over a low heat for 30 minutes.
Use a blender to make it smooth and serve with pasta and fresh basil leaves.

Serves 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tomato pasta sauce

| |

This is a great tasting, home-made pasta sauce that I made by accident. I put the tomatoes in the oven and then had to go do shopping and forgot to tell anybody about it. Luckily our domestic worker smelt something burning. But I still used the (almost sundried) tomatoes and it came out tasting amazing. I am one of those people who do not use a recipe book most of the time, so when something comes out well, I am ecstatic about it. I am sure you can make it in bulk and freeze it. It will work out cheaper than buying already-made sauces.

Ingredients
8 tomatoes cut in half
Another two tomatoes
Rosemary and olive seasoning (Ina Paarman) or any herb seasoning
Two tablespoons of brown sugar
One clove of garlic
A can of chopped, peeled tomatoes.
Tablespoon of sugar

Method
Place the 8 halved tomatoes on an oven tray. Sprinkle with the brown sugar (use more brown sugar if needed) and the Rosemary and Olive seasoning.
Place in the oven at 200 Degrees Celsius. Grill until slightly burnt, probably between 30 and 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven; remove the skins and place in a pot with the other two raw tomatoes, the clove of garlic, the can of tomatoes and the tablespoon of sugar.
Let it cook over a low heat for 30 minutes.
Use a blender to make it smooth and serve with pasta and fresh basil leaves.

Serves 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

.