Wednesday, March 11, 2009

1 Cor 9: 27 – But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Today, the Holy Spirit seized on a moment to teach me a wonderful and very important thing. I have come to a stage where I want to define more clearly my standards for Simeon’s (my son) obedience to me, because just as God did not move His standard of holiness in the garden of Eden, and still doesn’t, I do not want to move my standard for Simeon, seeing that I am a representative of God’s authority.

I was thinking about what I want the standard to be and whether for example I want my son to listen to me the first time I speak or command something. It seems almost too much to expect of a 16month old, and it is hard work and needs a focused mother. Then I realized that everyday situations which may seem innocent when he doesn’t listen the first time, are actually just the training ground for when it will really matter. If Simeon trains (or is trained) to listen the first time when I say “stop”, I would not have to wonder whether he would do the same when he is about to run into the street. Or when I teach Simeon each day that he must not touch something when I say so, then I wouldn’t have to worry when he is close to a fire or a braai, that he would touch it if I say he shouldn’t.

When considering the matters of being a parent, I often think of how God relates to us as His children. In every situation we must train ourselves to be obedient, even when it seems like no one is watching, because these seemingly innocuous situations are the training ground for situations where it is of extreme importance to be obedient (Note: it is always extremely important to be obedient to God, because of who HE IS). For example, when we are in front of other believers, we can easily discredit our witness and much worse, bring dishonour to our Father’s name, if we are not trained in obedience. Another example is when I have to submit to my husband in front of others, I will find it difficult if I do not train myself in every moment at home. I could then dishonour him, the opposite of what a wise, loving and respecting wife would do.

Now I understand what Paul means when he says:
1Co 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.
1Co 9:25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
1Co 9:26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.
1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching
to others I myself should be disqualified.

He also writes in 1 Tim4 verse 7:
Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

Now I understand why it is so important to train myself in godliness and obedience in the strength of the Lord. I will sometimes fail, and then I praise God for his all-sufficient grace to cover all my sin and failures. Because of my love for my father I will strive to do this so that in every situation I might bring the honour due to His name.

Aren’t we blessed as mothers to have children; a relationship in which we can learn so much from for our own walk with our Father. May we all be encourage and motivated to train our children so that one day they will understand the importance of obeying their heavenly Father in each and every situation.

Love,
Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment

1 Cor 9: 27 – But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

| |

Today, the Holy Spirit seized on a moment to teach me a wonderful and very important thing. I have come to a stage where I want to define more clearly my standards for Simeon’s (my son) obedience to me, because just as God did not move His standard of holiness in the garden of Eden, and still doesn’t, I do not want to move my standard for Simeon, seeing that I am a representative of God’s authority.

I was thinking about what I want the standard to be and whether for example I want my son to listen to me the first time I speak or command something. It seems almost too much to expect of a 16month old, and it is hard work and needs a focused mother. Then I realized that everyday situations which may seem innocent when he doesn’t listen the first time, are actually just the training ground for when it will really matter. If Simeon trains (or is trained) to listen the first time when I say “stop”, I would not have to wonder whether he would do the same when he is about to run into the street. Or when I teach Simeon each day that he must not touch something when I say so, then I wouldn’t have to worry when he is close to a fire or a braai, that he would touch it if I say he shouldn’t.

When considering the matters of being a parent, I often think of how God relates to us as His children. In every situation we must train ourselves to be obedient, even when it seems like no one is watching, because these seemingly innocuous situations are the training ground for situations where it is of extreme importance to be obedient (Note: it is always extremely important to be obedient to God, because of who HE IS). For example, when we are in front of other believers, we can easily discredit our witness and much worse, bring dishonour to our Father’s name, if we are not trained in obedience. Another example is when I have to submit to my husband in front of others, I will find it difficult if I do not train myself in every moment at home. I could then dishonour him, the opposite of what a wise, loving and respecting wife would do.

Now I understand what Paul means when he says:
1Co 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.
1Co 9:25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
1Co 9:26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.
1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching
to others I myself should be disqualified.

He also writes in 1 Tim4 verse 7:
Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

Now I understand why it is so important to train myself in godliness and obedience in the strength of the Lord. I will sometimes fail, and then I praise God for his all-sufficient grace to cover all my sin and failures. Because of my love for my father I will strive to do this so that in every situation I might bring the honour due to His name.

Aren’t we blessed as mothers to have children; a relationship in which we can learn so much from for our own walk with our Father. May we all be encourage and motivated to train our children so that one day they will understand the importance of obeying their heavenly Father in each and every situation.

Love,
Rosa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

.