Sunday, May 10, 2009

Christ IS sufficient for us

I have been listening to a certain song and the words have stayed with me the past couple of days. It is concerning Christ and His words and what He told the world about Himself. I do not have the exact words of the song, but here follows what I have concluded from it:

If Christ is the way, then I am lost without Him (John 14:16);
If He is the truth, then I am lied to without Him (John 14:6);
If He is the life, then I am dead without Him(John 14:6);
If He is the bread and the meat of life, then I am starving without Him (John 6:35);
If He is the living water, then I am thirsty without Him (John 7:37);
If He is the door, then I am locked outside without Him (John 10:7);
If He is the light of the world, then I am in darkness without Him (John 8:12);
If He has come to heal me, then I am sick without Him (Luke 5:35);
If He is the mediator between us and God, then I have no case without Him in the presence of God (1Tim 2:5).


Christ is our everything and our all. When we look at this list then we think it only pertains to the unsaved, but do we as God’s children who are in Christ truly live out the reality of what Christ is for us? How often do we as Christians feel lost, “sick,” hungry and thirsty, in darkness and removed from God? I have been faced with this question a couple of times this week. My husband and I listened to a sermon on the letter written to the Ephesian church in Revelations and the preacher pointed out that the name Ephesians actually means “Darling” or “Beloved” and Christ addresses them exactly about this point: they have forsaken their first love; their darling. I was pierced through the heart, because I realized that I have forsaken my first love. I had to ask whether Christ has ever been my first love and my treasure. Sure, I do things out of thankfulness and love for God, but do I really consider Christ in everything I do? How often is it not just about myself. After having to face this reality, which is humbling even to write about, I now desire for Christ to be my first love, my darling, my beloved.
I did a study on the first three chapters of Genesis and saw that man’s sin was and is that he wants to be like God; he wants to be God. He wanted to express his self-will, his autonomy, because that is the one thing he did not have. Through this desire came all pain, all heart ache, all tears, all war, all division, death and, worst of all, hatred and rejection of God. I came to the conclusion that the self is the cause of all my pain, my confusion, my rebellion, my inability to submit to my husband and of those times when I feel far from God. The reason why I am writing this in connection with what I mentioned above is because Christ says we must crucify our selves (Mat 10:38); we must deny our selves (Mat16:24), we must love Him more than our selves. Christ is the answer to all my problems, because He is the answer to the problem of the self. This is why He can give us peace and joy. In a moment of temptation, I must choose Christ before I choose the self. Before, whenever I read these words of having to die to self, it was very difficult to get my mind around this concept and I thought it is a very difficult thing of Jesus to ask of us. But now I see His wonderful love for us in giving us the solution to this problem of self. What love is this?! And moreover, He paid the price to give me the ability to do this. He truly deserves eternity of praise, honour and glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ IS sufficient for us

| |

I have been listening to a certain song and the words have stayed with me the past couple of days. It is concerning Christ and His words and what He told the world about Himself. I do not have the exact words of the song, but here follows what I have concluded from it:

If Christ is the way, then I am lost without Him (John 14:16);
If He is the truth, then I am lied to without Him (John 14:6);
If He is the life, then I am dead without Him(John 14:6);
If He is the bread and the meat of life, then I am starving without Him (John 6:35);
If He is the living water, then I am thirsty without Him (John 7:37);
If He is the door, then I am locked outside without Him (John 10:7);
If He is the light of the world, then I am in darkness without Him (John 8:12);
If He has come to heal me, then I am sick without Him (Luke 5:35);
If He is the mediator between us and God, then I have no case without Him in the presence of God (1Tim 2:5).


Christ is our everything and our all. When we look at this list then we think it only pertains to the unsaved, but do we as God’s children who are in Christ truly live out the reality of what Christ is for us? How often do we as Christians feel lost, “sick,” hungry and thirsty, in darkness and removed from God? I have been faced with this question a couple of times this week. My husband and I listened to a sermon on the letter written to the Ephesian church in Revelations and the preacher pointed out that the name Ephesians actually means “Darling” or “Beloved” and Christ addresses them exactly about this point: they have forsaken their first love; their darling. I was pierced through the heart, because I realized that I have forsaken my first love. I had to ask whether Christ has ever been my first love and my treasure. Sure, I do things out of thankfulness and love for God, but do I really consider Christ in everything I do? How often is it not just about myself. After having to face this reality, which is humbling even to write about, I now desire for Christ to be my first love, my darling, my beloved.
I did a study on the first three chapters of Genesis and saw that man’s sin was and is that he wants to be like God; he wants to be God. He wanted to express his self-will, his autonomy, because that is the one thing he did not have. Through this desire came all pain, all heart ache, all tears, all war, all division, death and, worst of all, hatred and rejection of God. I came to the conclusion that the self is the cause of all my pain, my confusion, my rebellion, my inability to submit to my husband and of those times when I feel far from God. The reason why I am writing this in connection with what I mentioned above is because Christ says we must crucify our selves (Mat 10:38); we must deny our selves (Mat16:24), we must love Him more than our selves. Christ is the answer to all my problems, because He is the answer to the problem of the self. This is why He can give us peace and joy. In a moment of temptation, I must choose Christ before I choose the self. Before, whenever I read these words of having to die to self, it was very difficult to get my mind around this concept and I thought it is a very difficult thing of Jesus to ask of us. But now I see His wonderful love for us in giving us the solution to this problem of self. What love is this?! And moreover, He paid the price to give me the ability to do this. He truly deserves eternity of praise, honour and glory!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

.