Saturday, April 25, 2009

Worshiping God even when we are feeling down.

I haven't written for so long. I have entered the third trimester of my second pregnancy and the fatigue has hit me once again. The result is that I have been feeling quite low and very emotional. If there is one thing that can rob one of the joy of the Lord, it is tiredness. I can't wait for my heavenly body where there will be no tiredness and no fluctuating hormones to keep me down.

In this time, I have come across two things which have both challenged me and encouraged me. The first is a session of a DVD series that our Moms' Group is following. The lady talks about how we should worship God. Are we worshipping Him with child-like confidence and sincerity? She goes to Exodus where God tells Pharoah to let His people go so that they can worship Him. They were enslaved and in enslavement it is difficult to have a worshipping spirit. She then relates it to our times: is there anything that enslaves us and keeps us from truly worshipping God? It can be the opinion of others; it can be business; it can be idols such as money, fashion, our own children; it can also be fatigue that leads to self-pity and guilt etc. We can all relate to this. But what was even more interesting is when she looked at the reason why Pharoah started oppressing the Israelites. They had become so many and he was threatened by them. If we truly worship God then He fills us with joy and peace and He is able to work through us in order to bare fruit for His kingdom. Our enemy, the devil, hates this and wants us in a position where we will be enslaved so that our eyes are taken off of our Father and that we won't bare fruit for Him. This is what has happened to me in the last couple of weeks.

The second thing I learned was at our Shepherding a Child's Heart course when we looked at the goals that parents have for their children. Some parents want their children to achieve in academics or in sport. Others just want a perfect, peaceful life for their children where they will experience no want. Tedd Tripp, however, points out that our aim for our children should be that they glorify God in everything and enjoy Him forever. This really struck me, because I can only teach my children what I have and I had to ask myself, especially during this time, whether I have been glorifying God and have been enjoying Him. The problem is that things like depression, fatigue and hormonal fluctuations are real things that our earthly bodies go through. But in such a time, my aim should be to stop focusing on myself, not to succumb under the accusations of the devil, and to turn my focus on God, His awesome, redeeming grace and Jesus Christ in whom I have every blessing in the heavenly places (Ephesians 1). In such cloudy times one can see that God's patience with us is limitless and the extent of what the cross means becomes clearer and clear.

I have confidence that my path through the valley is sloping upwards so that I am reaching new heights of faith in Jesus Christ. This morning I read two portions of Scripture which gave me such wonderful comfort:
Mat 11:28-30 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

The other passage is:
Psa 73:23-28 Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you.
But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.

In difficult times I can remember that my Heavely Father is always with me. He has taken hold of my right hand and here it doesn't say that He ever lets go. When my flesh and my heart fail, as has been the case with me the last couple of weeks, then God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Worshiping God even when we are feeling down.

| |

I haven't written for so long. I have entered the third trimester of my second pregnancy and the fatigue has hit me once again. The result is that I have been feeling quite low and very emotional. If there is one thing that can rob one of the joy of the Lord, it is tiredness. I can't wait for my heavenly body where there will be no tiredness and no fluctuating hormones to keep me down.

In this time, I have come across two things which have both challenged me and encouraged me. The first is a session of a DVD series that our Moms' Group is following. The lady talks about how we should worship God. Are we worshipping Him with child-like confidence and sincerity? She goes to Exodus where God tells Pharoah to let His people go so that they can worship Him. They were enslaved and in enslavement it is difficult to have a worshipping spirit. She then relates it to our times: is there anything that enslaves us and keeps us from truly worshipping God? It can be the opinion of others; it can be business; it can be idols such as money, fashion, our own children; it can also be fatigue that leads to self-pity and guilt etc. We can all relate to this. But what was even more interesting is when she looked at the reason why Pharoah started oppressing the Israelites. They had become so many and he was threatened by them. If we truly worship God then He fills us with joy and peace and He is able to work through us in order to bare fruit for His kingdom. Our enemy, the devil, hates this and wants us in a position where we will be enslaved so that our eyes are taken off of our Father and that we won't bare fruit for Him. This is what has happened to me in the last couple of weeks.

The second thing I learned was at our Shepherding a Child's Heart course when we looked at the goals that parents have for their children. Some parents want their children to achieve in academics or in sport. Others just want a perfect, peaceful life for their children where they will experience no want. Tedd Tripp, however, points out that our aim for our children should be that they glorify God in everything and enjoy Him forever. This really struck me, because I can only teach my children what I have and I had to ask myself, especially during this time, whether I have been glorifying God and have been enjoying Him. The problem is that things like depression, fatigue and hormonal fluctuations are real things that our earthly bodies go through. But in such a time, my aim should be to stop focusing on myself, not to succumb under the accusations of the devil, and to turn my focus on God, His awesome, redeeming grace and Jesus Christ in whom I have every blessing in the heavenly places (Ephesians 1). In such cloudy times one can see that God's patience with us is limitless and the extent of what the cross means becomes clearer and clear.

I have confidence that my path through the valley is sloping upwards so that I am reaching new heights of faith in Jesus Christ. This morning I read two portions of Scripture which gave me such wonderful comfort:
Mat 11:28-30 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

The other passage is:
Psa 73:23-28 Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you.
But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.

In difficult times I can remember that my Heavely Father is always with me. He has taken hold of my right hand and here it doesn't say that He ever lets go. When my flesh and my heart fail, as has been the case with me the last couple of weeks, then God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

.